Violence rocks Ondo APC stakeholders’ meeting as chairman, leaders injured

…Govt denies involvement 

Ade Adetimehin, the party chairman on the floor, in the party secretariat, Oyemekun Road, Akure.

By David Akinadewo-Adekahunsi

Chaos erupted at the Ondo State secretariat of the All Progressives Congress in Akure on Tuesday as a stakeholders’ meeting ahead of the party’s ward congress turned violent, leaving the State Chairman, Ade Adetimehin, and several other leaders injured and hospitalised.

Eyewitnesses said suspected political thugs stormed the meeting venue, disrupting proceedings and attacking party leaders in attendance.

The incident threw the gathering into confusion as members fled for safety amid reports of sporadic gunshots and the use of dangerous weapons.

Adetimehin, who appeared visibly shaken after the attack, said he was specifically targeted and dragged from the conference hall to the ground floor of the secretariat by the hoodlums.

He alleged that his two mobile phones, wristwatch and the sum of N210,000 were forcibly taken during the assault, while his driver was beaten unconscious and later revived at a private hospital.

According to him, the meeting had been convened following consultations with a congress committee from Abuja and party stakeholders, with plans to brief members on modalities for the ward congress.

He said he had earlier informed the state governor, Mr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa, about the meeting and rumours of possible disruption, adding that the governor assured him violence would not be tolerated.

He, however, said the venue was invaded about 30 minutes later by armed men who beat party leaders and members and insisted that the congress must not hold.

Several attendees reportedly sustained injuries and were taken to hospitals for treatment.

Other party leaders present at the meeting included Saka Yusuf, Otito Atikase, Muyiwa Asagunla, Akin Sowore, Rasheed Badmus and Yetunde Adeyanju.

Mrs. Yetunde Adeyanju, a former Commissioner for Community Development and Cooperative Services, alleged that the attackers claimed they were acting on behalf of the governor, a claim she described as disturbing and unprecedented in the state’s political history.

She said the thugs threatened violence against anyone discussing the planned congress and called on security agencies, journalists and the national leadership of the party to intervene.

Similarly, Otito Atikase, the state representative on the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), condemned the disruption and said the development suggested a dangerous turn in the state’s political environment.

He alleged that the attackers attempted to throw him down a staircase and warned him against participating in party activities, adding that several members were injured during the melee.

Another chieftain, Olumuyiwa Asagunla, said about 200 hoodlums invaded the premises, ordering members out of the hall and attacking those present.

He claimed that at least seven party members were admitted in hospitals following the incident and described the assault on the chairman as humiliating.

In the aftermath, the Ondo State Government distanced itself from the violence, describing allegations linking it to the attack as malicious and politically motivated.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Idowu Ajanaku, the government said the governor was neither aware of nor connected to the meeting and could not have sanctioned any act of thuggery.

The statement maintained that the allegations were unfounded attempts to tarnish the image of the administration and create tension within the ruling party and the state, stressing that the governor’s leadership style is rooted in civility, inclusiveness and democratic values with zero tolerance for violence or political intimidation.

It added that the administration remained focused on governance and the Renewed Hope agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The government urged the public to disregard what it described as baseless claims and cautioned against the spread of misinformation capable of undermining public trust and political stability.

Also reacting, the state chapter of the APC described the disruption as an isolated incident unrelated to the forthcoming congress.

In a statement by its Director of Media and Publicity, Steve Otaloro, the party said preliminary findings indicated that the disturbance stemmed from an internal misunderstanding exacerbated by a few unscrupulous elements.

Otaloro said the party had commenced an internal review to ascertain the facts and assured members that appropriate action would be taken based on verified findings.

He added that the party appreciated the governor for directing security personnel to restore order, noting that calm had since returned and normal activities resumed at the secretariat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *